Why Do I Need To Replace a Lost Car Title?

According to the ROAD and Track magazines, if the car is titled in your name, most states will be replaced through the local car office. You may need to provide a certificate of ownership (such as the documents of the previous vehicle on vehicle) and pay a small amount to be replaced. Although the demand is different from the state, you may also want to prepare the vehicle identification number (VIN) and some personal information about the car. For example, the Ministry of Transportation of Wisconsin pointed out that you need to drive a license or other forms of ID card, the last four digits of your social insurance number, an email address, and other information to apply for a replacement title. Remember, the new title may indicate that it is an alternative title.

Step 1 - Identify Your State’s Motor Vehicle Authority

When you need to get a driver’s license or register a car, you have to go through your state’s motor vehicle authority. But which one is it? Depending on where you live, the motor vehicle authority could be the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), the Department of Licensing (DOL), or the Department of Revenue (DOR). No matter which one it is, they all have one thing in common: they’re the government agency in charge of registering and licensing motor vehicles. They also issue driver’s licenses, tabs, and plates.

Each state has its own motor vehicle authority, and the process for registering and licensing a car can vary from state to state. So it’s important to know who to go to when you need to take care of business with your car or driver’s license.

Here’s a list of state motor vehicle authorities, along with the website and contact information.


DMV: http://www.dmv.alabama.gov/

Phone: 334-242-4400


DOL: http://www.dol.state.ak.us/

Phone: 907-269-5551


DMV: http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/

Phone: 602-255-0072


DFA: http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/mvd/

Phone: 501-682-7059


DMV: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/

Phone: 800-777-0133


DOR: http://www.colorado.gov/revenue/mvd/

Phone: 303-238-7200


DMV: http://www.ct.gov/dmv/

Phone: 860-263-5700


DMV: http://www.dmv.de.gov/

Phone: 302-744-2500


DMV: http://www.flhsmv.gov/

Phone: 850-617-2000


DMV: http://www.dds.ga.gov/

Phone: 678-413-8400


Step 2 - Complete the Proper Form

Each state has its own form to replace a lost car title.

In Hawaii and Wyoming, each county has its own form.

Most states make their forms available for download in a PDF. They’re usually formatted so that you can fill it out on your computer or device before you print it.

Step 3 - Submit the Form and Pay the Fee

Some states allow you to complete your application to replace a lost car title online.

The District of Columbia and 9 states let you apply online.

  • Indiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • New York
  • South Carolina
  • Virginia
  • Wisconsin

In the other states, you will need to apply by mail or in person. In states that require you to have the application form notarized, you can’t apply online.

How To Replace a Lost Car Title By State

If you have lost your car title, you will need to replace it before you can sell or transfer the car. The process for replacing a car title varies by state, so you will need to check with your local DMV to find out the specific steps you need to take. In most cases, you will need to provide certain documents to the DMV in order to demonstrate that you are the rightful owner of the car. The DMV may also require you to pay a replacement fee. Replacing a car title can be a frustrating process, but it is important to make sure that you have the title in order to sell or transfer the car. By following the steps outlined by your state DMV, you should be able to replace the title quickly and easily.

How To Replace a Lost Car Title That’s Not In Your Name

If you've lost your car title, don't panic! Here's a step-by-step guide on how to replace a lost car title that's not in your name.

1. Gather the necessary documents. In order to replace a lost car title, you'll need to provide certain documents to the DMV. You'll need to provide a copy of your driver's license or ID, proof of your car's insurance, and the original car title (or a notarized copy if the title is missing).

2. Complete the Replacement Car Title Application. You can download the Replacement Car Title Application form on the DMV's website. Complete the form and be sure to provide all the information requested, including your car's make, model, and VIN.

3. Submit the application and documents. Mail or hand-deliver the application and your supporting documents to the DMV. Be sure to keep a copy of everything for your records.

4. Wait for your new title. Once the DMV has verified your documents and processed your application, they will mail you your new car title. It may take a few weeks, so be patient.

Replacing a lost car title can seem daunting, but with the right information, it's a breeze. Follow the steps above and you'll be back on the road in no time.